Sent to us from Tierra Vegetables, Santa Rosa, CA
2 cups Black beans, washed well
2 Tbsp Olive oil
2 cups Diced onions
3 - 5 cloves Garlic, minced
3 (or more) Diced tomatoes
2 Bay leaves
2 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Chile powder
1 to 2 Chipotle chiles, cut up (see Note)
3 Tbsp Vinegar
1 Tbsp Brown sugar
Salt to taste
- Put beans in a large pot. Add water to cover beans.
- Bring to a boil, turn off heat and let sit covered, for an hour.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and tomatoes. Sauté for a few minutes, then add bay leaves, cumin and chile powder.
- Drain the beans and add 6 cups of fresh water to the pot.
- Stir in the onion-spice mixture, chipotles, vinegar and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours or until the beans are tender to the bite.
- Add salt to taste during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Note: Chipotle chiles add a smoky meatiness to this vegetarian dish.