From Chef Kahleen Nowak, Healdsburg, CA
8-10 Beef short ribs bone-in 2 inch thick
1 Bottle Red wine (Cabernet, Syrah or Zinfandel)
5-10 Tomatoes (depending on size, preferably ripe)
Beef stock (enough to cover ribs while cooking)
4 Bay Leaves
1 White Onion (cut into eighths)
1-2 T Blend of canola oil and olive oil (for browning)
- Season ribs with salt & pepper.
- In hot pan, add 1-2 Tablespoons blended oils
- Brown seasoned ribs on all sides to a rich dark brown sear.
- Remove ribs and place in roasting pan for braising.
- Cover browned ribs with tomatoes (skin on), bay leaves, 1 bottle red wine.
- Add beef broth enough so ribs will be covered in liquid while cooking.
- Add onion
- Cover pan with double plastic wrap and one layer of foil.
- Place in heated oven.
Note: There are two braising variations: convection oven 350 degrees for 3 hours, or slow cook at 150 degrees in a regular conventional oven for 8.5 hrs. The end result is sweet, falling of the bone meat that will happily accompany potatoes and creamy greens such as kale - a warm and satisfying meal for the cold winter months.