Chef Brian Landry, Bamboo Sushi, Portland, OR
2 T Garlic, minced
½ Cup Mirin
4 Cups Unsalted Butter
2 T Soy Sauce (see Note)
2 lbs Sweet Potatoes (3-4 potatoes)
Note: Recommend Kikkoman Agi-Mirin, Takara fu chyromio or any that say “fu” style. If you are unable to find Mirin in your local market, you can substitute with sweet white wine.
Method for Garlic Soy Butter
- Heat Mirin and garlic in a small pan
- Whisk in butter and soy sauce
- Reduce by half until mixture has gravy like consistency
Roasting Sweet Potatoes
- Scrub potatoes
- Prick potatoes with fork in a couple of places.
- Split the potatoes lengthwise and roast flesh side down.
- Roast in a 400-degree oven for 45-50 minutes until potatoes are soft in the middle.
- Remove from oven.
- Squeeze ends to allow flesh to mound up.
- Spoon Garlic Soy Butter over top of potato.
- Drizzle with chili sesame oil.